Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Another Coat of Paint

A couple weeks ago, during a crazy busy week, I had this idea to paint my dining room. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best time to be painting, but sometimes I tend to do these crazy sort of things. 

We moved in a year and a half ago and I have been struggling with what colors to paint my home. It is currently the builder's beige color (yawn). I wanted to do something new. Painting the house really makes it feel like my own. 

I love those HGTV shows and I know that gray is the trendy color right now in homes. I did not want to follow the crowd! I wanted to be different! I came across a picture of my old house and remembered how much I loved the color I painted my dining room. I decided I wanted that color again. I couldn't find the exact color, Peach Fizz, so I settled for Dutchess Peach. I painted that evening with my wonderful husband's help. I kept going back and forth on if I liked it. It didn't have the same feel that it did in my old dining room. I knew the morning light would reveal how I really felt about the color. 

The next day I woke up, walked into the dining room and said without hesitation, "NO." My husband came around the corner and I said, "I hate it." 

With family coming over for Easter lunch in 2 days, I knew I needed to change this quickly. I decided that I had a few hours to do so the following day. However, I needed to decide on a paint color that day. I reluctantly started researching gray colors, and I came across a color called Sea Salt. It was gray, but had green/blue hues in it. It seemed like the color changed depending on lighting/furniture/accessories. I decided to give it a try. Besides, it was neutral enough to where if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have to repaint again before company came. 

Early the next morning, I started painting away. I almost instantly knew this color triumphed my first choice. As I continued to paint, I very clearly heard the Lord say to me, "I'm doing a new thing. Old ways that worked in the past will not work today." I was so encouraged in my spirit. He also reminded me right after that of a scene in the movie the second Narnia movie, "Prince Caspian". When Lucy asks Aslan why he didn't come roaring and save them like last time, and he responded, "Things never happen the same way twice." https://youtu.be/nWTv71n2ZPk

God is doing a new thing (Isaiah 43:19). Sometimes, our expectations and our love for the past try and get in the way of that. We are afraid of letting go and trying something new. We decide in our minds that the new "won't work" and we try to cling to what worked for us in the past. God is the same (Hebrews 13:8), but how He works is always changing, always new and refreshing. You just have to step out on faith and allow Him to work. 

I love my new paint color, so much so that I plan on painting other areas in my home the same color! I am welcoming the new, both spiritually and in my house! Is there anything in your life where God is doing something new, and you are resisting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment